Summer with Pets: Outdoor and Travel safety tips
Fireworks and Thunderstorms
- Keep pets in a secure location preferably inside
- Occupy the space with fresh water, toys, and leave a TV or Radio on for noise distractions.
- Make sure your pet is Microchipped
Sun & heat
- Stay off pavement/concrete and sand – paws are very sensitive and can burn or blister.
- Test with your bare foot for 7 seconds on the surface the dog will be walking on. If it is too hot for you, it will be too hot for them.
- Consider buying booties for your dog if you will be taking them out on hot surfaces.
- Hydration – plenty of water needs to be available
- Know the signs of dehydration and overheating
- Excessive panting, dark red gums, increased heart rate, weakness
- Sunscreen – dogs that are white, hairless or lightly colored can burn.
- Morning (before sunrise) or Evening (after sunset) walks are best to minimize heat related stress
- Play in sprinklers or kiddie pools
- Limit excessive play or outdoor activities
- Prevent overheating by taking breaks in the shade every 30mintues
- Keep your pet inside when temperatures rise
- Watch for Poisonous plants
- Insecticides, insect repellants, sunscreen, citronella products, and glow sticks are toxic to pets. It’s best to keep them out of reach or away from your pets.
Parties & Barbeques
- Keep alcohol and food out of pets reach
- Some foods are hazardous to your pets health
- Onions, grapes, avocados, chocolate, cooked bones, etc.
- Make sure there is plenty of shade available for the pets attending
- Water activities
- Make sure there is easy access to get in and out
- Never leave pool chemicals on your pets coat – rinse after
- Allow time to rest, swimming can be strenuous
- Try to minimize how much ocean, pool, lake, etc. water dogs are intaking – it can dehydrate them faster.
- Even with the windows cracked, the inside temperature of a car can reach 100 degrees in 10 minutes when it is 85 degrees outside!
- Flea, tick and mosquito prevention is key during the summer months
- Pets can contract serious health issues from these pests.