Bulbs are the gateway to the garden. Plant them now and forget about them. By the time spring rolls around, the garden will be full of buds ready to blossom.
And, with cooler temperatures, fall is the best season for planting.
Whether you’re beginning a garden for the first time or tending an old one, planting flower bulbs has never been easier.
Bulbs are a fantastic way to start or maintain a garden because they spring back up each year without any effort. But the key is to plant them correctly now.
Don’t worry! The hardest part is deciding which flowers and a color scheme to use.
Select the Best Bulbs
Three factors need to be taken into account when planning a garden: bloom time, planting time and region.
- Consider the time of the season the variety blooms. Bloom time could be early spring, mid-spring or late spring.
- Research the best time of the year to plant. Depending on your region, you can plant anywhere from September through December.
- Identify what hardiness zone your garden falls under. Some bulbs are better suited for mild temperatures, while others need that hard frost.
Planting the bulbs is simple. Follow the steps below to create a flawless garden.
- Dig a hole 3-4 times deeper than the bulb height.
- Set bulbs firmly in place, following spacing guidelines.
- Sprinkle in a fertilizer made for bulbs such as Bulb-tone.
- Cover with soil.
- Water thoroughly.
Remember when planting bulbs, plant more than you think you need and avoid the temptation to plant in single rows.
- For the most natural look, group them in a pyramid, rectangle or circular shape.
- For a camouflaged look, plant low bulbs in front of high. As the high ones die back, the low will cover the dying foliage.
- For a layered look, plant small bulbs in the same hole as large bulbs.
- For an entire spring of color, stagger bloom time by planting early, mid and late-season varieties together.
Flower bulbs are a low-maintenance way to expand or start a garden and create a stunning look year-after-year. You’ll be amazed at the beautiful array of color that pops up in the spring.
Buy spring flower bulbs now to prepare for the upcoming fall-planting season.
About the Espoma Company
The Espoma Company is a fourth generation, family-owned business that has been the pioneer in organic gardening since 1929. Espoma products work in harmony with nature to grow beautiful lawns & gardens, preserve natural resources, and make a greener world for future generations. Espoma offers a complete selection of natural plant foods, lawn foods, control products, and potting mixes that are available nationwide. For additional information, visit www.espoma.com or find them on Facebook.