To ensure your wreaths and swags stay fresh and beautiful all season long, here are some valuable tips that you shouldn’t miss. By implementing these effective strategies and techniques, you can enhance the festive charm they bring to your home and create an inviting atmosphere that impresses your guests. Picture this: stunning wreaths and swags exuding holiday cheer, their vibrant colors and exquisite textures captivating everyone’s attention from the moment they step foot into your home till the season’s end. Get ready to embrace a season filled with unparalleled vibrancy, beauty, and the joyous spirit of the holidays.
Making sure your holiday greens last
• When it comes to choosing holly for decorations, it’s important to pay attention to some crucial details. Seek out leaves that are glossy and firm, devoid of any unsightly black spots. This guarantees that you’re selecting holly that is fresh and vibrant. Furthermore, if the berries on the holly easily detach, it’s a clear sign that the holly is not fresh.
• However, it’s important to note that holly and mistletoe berries can be toxic, especially for small children and pets. If you have little ones or furry friends at home, it’s crucial to be cautious. One solution is to remove the holly berries before using them in your decor or consider using artificial holly as a safer alternative. By doing so, you can still enjoy the festive charm without worrying about any potential harm.
• Another tip to keep your fresh-cut greens in optimum condition is to store them in a protected area, such as a garage, until you’re ready to decorate. This helps shield them from harmful effects of wind and direct sunlight, preserving their freshness for longer.
• Before arranging your greens, give them a good soak in cold water overnight or for up to 24 hours. This hydrates the foliage, ensuring that the needles absorb moisture, resulting in a more vibrant and long-lasting display. A laundry or bath tub works well for this task. For an extra freshness boost, you can add a product like Prolong to the soaking water, as it helps extend the lifespan of your greens.
• After soaking, allow the greens to drip dry for about an hour in a shady and well-ventilated area. This step helps remove excess moisture, preventing any potential issues such as water damage or mildew.
• To further protect your greens from drying out, it’s recommended to spray them with an anti-desiccant, such as Wilt-Pruf or Wilt Stop. These products form a clear and flexible protective coating that helps minimize moisture loss in the stems, needles, and leaves. However, please note that it’s important to avoid using anti-desiccants on junipers or berries. Once you’ve sprayed the greens, allow them to dry completely before proceeding with decorating and hanging.
• When it comes to hanging fresh greens, it’s crucial to avoid placing them between a main door and a storm door that receives direct sunlight. This can create a greenhouse effect, causing the greens to dry out quickly and shed their needles.
• To prolong the life of your fresh-cut greens, consider misting them with water daily. This helps maintain their moisture levels and keep them looking vibrant for an extended period.
• If you plan to add lights to your fresh-cut greens, opt for the newer LED type. These lights have a longer lifespan and generate less heat compared to older incandescent lights, ensuring safety and longevity for your decorations.
• Lastly, a simple tip to extend the lifespan of your fresh-cut greens is to lower the thermostat in your home. The cooler temperature helps slow down the drying process, keeping your greens looking lush and vibrant throughout the holiday season.
What Homestead Carries
There are a wide variety of greens that you can use to add a touch of natural beauty to your floral arrangements. Some popular options include Boxwood, Douglas fir, Holly (available in green or variegated), Incense Cedar, Juniper, Noble Fir, Princess Pine, Silver Fir, White Pine, Western Cedar, Magnolia, and Oregonia. These greens can provide a lush and vibrant backdrop to complement your flowers.
If you’re looking to add some accents and unique elements to your arrangements, there are plenty of options to choose from. Consider including Baby’s Breath for delicate and airy texture, Eucalyptus for a fragrant touch, Birch Branches for a rustic charm, Camellia Leaves for a glossy and elegant look, Bear Grass for graceful and flowing lines, Curly Willow for a whimsical twist, Red Twig Dogwood and Yellow Twig Dogwood for a pop of vibrant color, Birch Poles for a natural and earthy element, Winterberry Stems for a burst of festive red berries, and Pine Cones for a hint of rustic charm.
Seeking inspiration for decorating? Explore a variety of creative ideas and designs to enhance your space. Discover inspiration right here!